Loch Seaforth takes shape in Germany
A glimpse of the extraordinary nature of modern shipbuilding is given by these pictures of the launch and fitting out of the new Stornoway ferry Loch Seaforth.
At the launch ceremony, Loch Seaforth was officially named by her Godmother Joan Murray, eldest daughter of the late Captain John Smith, who skippered the 1947 Denny-built Loch Seaforth. The name comes from a sea loch between Lewis and Harris.
Platform gathering for launch of Loch Seaforth
Joan Murray (centre left) was ship’s godmother,
assisted by her sisters Mary Scott and Donalda Murray,
with Peter Sierk (left), chief executive of the Flensburg yard
The 116-metre ferry took to the water on Friday 21 March at Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft (FSG) on the Baltic coast of Germany. She is due to sail to Scotland in July for sea trials, and to enter service on September 8.
|Loch Seaforth heads down the slipway||First contact with sea water||In the basin at Flensburg after the launch|
The construction process involved a collection of Lego-like building blocks, the last of which, comprising three decks of accommodation, was winched into place after the launch.
|Arrival of accommodation block||Accommodation block being winched into place||Accommodation block being fitted|
The ship is owned by Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd (CMAL) and will be operated by CalMac Ferries Ltd on the Ullapool-Stornoway crossing, where she will replace Isle of Lewis. She will have capacity for up to 700 passengers and 143 cars or 20 commercial vehicles.
The new ship taking shape – Follow her fitting out on the
Pictures courtesy of Lewis Mackenzie.